Friday, June 3, 2011

the beginning

Ok...here's the background story.  I have been an executive assistant for years and I've worked for individuals, mom-and-pops, boutique firms, start-ups and big oil.  Just a few years ago it started getting old; really old.  I was feeling trapped.  Serving others was no longer serving me.  I even started my own business thinking this was a solution.  It was not.


To make ends meet I began working for different employment agencies as a "temp" while still working on my own company.  Ultimately the business failed and I was back working as an assistant full-time.  At first I had a feeling of gratitude for any assignment the agencies provided.  But my enthusiasm began to wane when on assignment my skills were not being utilized.  I was simply filling a chair (and watching a clock).  Argh!  How frustrating.


Once the recession began, the market became flooded w/ overly qualified applicants and corporations began seeking degreed individuals (which I was not) to fill positions that typically required no formal education.  This trend found its way into the temporary market as well.  Thinking about returning to school and taking classes in Secretarial 101 seemed futile (and insulting).  Strangely the thought of school would not leave me. 


About this time I received a blessing in disguise; I was hired to assist an individual on a part-time basis.  I accepted the position (and grossly reduced pay) w/ faith.  As I no longer could afford my customary luxuries, I spent my new found abundance of time just "being".  I walked a lot, me and my little dog.  I took my camera with me and took pictures of odd and interesting things.  I met new friends.  I got to know the neighborhood homeless people by name and helped out whenever I could.  I rode my bike.  I went to museums and parks.  I even treated myself to a movie from time to time.


Then one day it dawned on me that I could spend this time at school, learning something more.  If only I had the money.  Hmmmmm......money.  After years self-sufficiency it was alien for me to think of doing what all young students do and apply for financing.  Duh!


I started last summer by enrolling and taking the mandatory "get acquainted w/ college" class and paid out of my pocket until I found out whether I had been approved by FAFSA or not for a grant/loan/whatever.


That first class at our local community college was startling and amazing.  I realized that I am a lot older than I thought I was...or the kids are a lot younger.  Who knows?  Then I learned that everyone...EVERY ONE...has something to give to one another.  Those kids in that class taught me how brilliant kids are today and how accepting they are as well.  It was an amazing experience even though I had no idea what I would major in yet.


One of our class assignments was to pick a major.  I panicked.  At 44 I still did not know what I wanted to be when I grew up.  How embarrassing.  I began to comb the course catalog for degree plans that interested me but I didn't feel interested in anything.  Oh no! What to do?  What to do?  I knew that I wanted something different but what?  Something creative.  Yes!  Something creative.  


As I looked through the catalog I thought film making...yes, that's good.  I wouldn't have to be a Speilberg or a Scorsese to make a decent living.  I could film web-mercials or PSA's and stay local.  It sounded good to me until I began talking w/ my sister.  She happened to be studying graphic design at another local college.  The classes she talked about sounded so fascinating.  And the more we spoke the more I realized she was so much more of a film buff than I was.  If I've heard the story about her first trip to the cinema once, I've heard at least ten-million times.  


I suggested a major switch or a switch of majors (either is apropos).  And a light went off for both of us.  The rest is history.  But its not quite yet; it is present day and here we are.


My new boss turned out to be super flexible and accommodating as long as I met my hours each week (which I did).  He was so supportive (a closet creative, one suspects).  We made it through my first year together juggling schedules.  And then just before the spring semester was over I quit work and became a full-time student no longer afraid to embrace my education whole-heartedly. To achieve this, I've moved to the burbs w/ my super generous and supportive oldest sister.


Now here we are in summer and I've landed an internship at a well established, well respected design firm.  Amazing!  I am super excited.  This whole year has been like this.  Everything has simply fallen into place without any help from me.  Confidently I rest in the wisdom that this is my path and I walk it gratefully.





1 comment: