Monday, June 27, 2011

spare change

Just wrapped-up my third week as a summer intern at Douthit Design Group and I am hanging in there.  And so far I've been invited to work on two logo redesigns for two different clients.  Four of the logos I designed for the first client were even submitted to the client.  And the second redesign is still in the works.  I really can't believe it...I am actually in the game.  Unbelievable, I'm doing it and it feels good.

This past week the firm was asked to participate in the Ad2 Houston's Bowl Your Ads Off! Bowl-a-thon Fundraiser's Art Pin Auction.  Different firms around Houston were given a bowling pin and asked to design it for the auction.  The proceeds go toward design scholarships being offered to up and coming design students by the AAF-Houston.

Dwight Douthit brought our pin in and asked for help as his schedule was extraordinarily full.  I practically jumped out of my chair begging...and he willingly handed over the project.  A few of us sat down together to hear Dwight's concept of Spare Change.  He envisioned change attached to the pin.  All of us began to brainstorm how this would look.  It was so much fun.  Ideas were flowing left and right.  Steven Chrisman had the best idea...loose change "tossed" as in a change dish, totally random.  As we all chatted Dwight absent-mindedly played with the change on the conference room table.  A gradient pattern developed.  This pattern was to be incorporated into the design on the pin.  There it was.  It was genius!  I was to be the hands of the project.

I began feverishly adhering coins to this pin making sure to arrange the coins in a non-intentional pattern.  The curves of the pin and the inflexibility of the coins dictating my every move.  The first day I worked at this pace for three hours barely getting the foundation laid.  The second day another six.  It was amazing.  Extreme patience was required.  From time to time the guys would stop by and offer comments, design tales and encouragement.  Eventually the pin was done.

Dwight delivered our pin to Ad2 Houston and attended the auction this past weekend appropriate held at Palace Bowling.  Needless to say I was on "pins" and needles waiting to hear what had become of our group project.  I received an email yesterday updating me as to the fate of our baby.  Our pin had auctioned for the highest bid of the night!!!  Our little pin received over double the next pin's booty.  Crazy!  Our labor of love (for design), our meeting of the minds had been a success!  Fabulous news!

I am still smiling as I write this.  Check it out!  Isn't it fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment